Sunday 18 August 2019

Gold Face




I haven't posted anything to my blog in a little while and I certainly haven't been as regular as I had intended when I started it but I do intend to post more regularly. I went to Bodnant gardens recently with the intention of getting some beautiful shots to share to get things started again.

I was fortunate that the weather was good and there was excellent light and lots of beautiful flowers on display so I took lots of pictures that I will be going through to select the best.

Given that there was so much to see and photograph you might be surprised that the first images I share from that day out are of a disgusting Horse Fly. I say disgusting because they are annoying buzzy bitey things ( I got bitten on my elbow by one)  but  since I had my macro lens attached I thought I would take a closer look at the fly that settled on the bench behind me.

I was surprised to see that it has a shiny golden mask around bright red eyes that don't exactly make it a thing of beauty but is quite spectacular all the same.

Apparently it is the female flies that bite and they will travel large distances to find a suitable food source. Unlike mosquitoes that pierce the skin and suck blood from the host horse flies have jagged saw like teeth that slice the skin and they release an anti-coagulant so they can feed on the blood that pools in the wound. I said they were disgusting...

No comments:

Post a Comment