Saturday 2 April 2022

Night Skies 1

ISO 3200, 19mm f/4.0  30 secs 



ISO 3200,  19mm f/4.0  120secs (4x 30 sec images stacked)

ISO 2500, 17mm F/4.0  120sec


ISO 1600  17mm  F/4.0  60 sec

 Last Friday (25th March 2022), with the promise of clear skies I decided to go in search of some stars. 

I went to South Stacks on Anglesey, and although I had planned to go by myself I was pleased to have my brother with me as it is quite remote and it was pitch black. It was also good as we were both experimenting with astrophotography so we could bounce ideas off each other and share some of the excitement of seeing so many stars.

I took some shots of the sky above our head but the problem with that is I have no means of identifying exactly what I was looking at and I had set my lens at 40mm by mistake so I didn't really have a wide enough view for the shots to be of any great interest. I did however get some good shots looking across the sea, some facing south west with the lighthouse in the shot (which I will share tomorrow) and these which are facing due south and capture the headland illuminated by the passage of the beam from the lighthouse.

The first shot as you will see was a 30 second exposure and the second shot is a stack of 4 identical images with the same settings so giving a combined exposure of 2 minutes. By stacking the images (in some software called Sequator) it is possible to reduce the level of noise in the image and sharpen up the star images.

The third and fourth images are single exposures but they are tracked images in that I had mounted my camera on a star tracking mount which rotates the camera to compensate for the rotation of the earth and so keep the stars aligned so I can get sharp images of the stars (rather than smudged lines) without having to stack images. If I had stacked several of these images it would have been possible to get even sharper and less noisy images (I should have reduced the ISO for these shots too but I am still learning so I will bear that in mind for next time). With the 2 minute exposure the foreground image is too blurry for my liking and I think the 60 second exposure is probably the limit.

However I have to say I am very happy with these images. Just standing under the night sky there were so many stars visible but by using the long exposure and the tracking mount it was possible to capture so many more stars than are visible to the naked eye. As the night wore on (we were there from 1:30 to 4:30am) and dawn approached we could track the movement of stars across the horizon and you can see that in the pictures above. For example in the first image the bright orange star at the centre of the horizon is Antares but in the subsequent images it has moved up and to the left.

The bright glow to the lower left is not light pollution but is the light from distant galaxies and nebulae and this all just blows my mind at the vastness and beauty of the universe.

Please look out for some different images tomorrow and then after that I will post my favourite two images from this great night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment