Tuesday 31 December 2019

Portrait of Mother Hill



So for today I decided to get out and do some hiking, something I haven't really done too much of for a while and I headed off to where my hiking adventures began about 30 years ago in the Derbyshire Peak District.

I chose a circular walk starting from the village of Castleton to the top of Mam Tor and along the ridge dividing Edale and Hope Valley. It was a great day out with some absolutely stunning scenery. The walk is billed as the 10th most popular walk in the UK and although it was a weekday, because it was New Year's Eve there were a lot of other people out enjoying the hills too so it wasn't the quiet getaway I had imagined but it was fun nevertheless.

I decided to shoot this view of Mam Tor reflected in a small roadside pool in portrait mode and landscape mode. I had to be patient because although the water was calm when I arrived a couple of dogs went in for a paddle. After a few minutes though they moved on and I was able to get these lovely reflections.

It was such a relief to see the top of the hill bathed in sunshine because when I first arrived  the whole ridge had been enveloped in fog and I had worried that I was in for a cold and damp walk with no views at all. 

2019 has ended well for me, let's hope that 2020 gets off to a good start too.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment