Sunday 8 August 2021

Tika




 Did you see my post yesterday? If not take a minute to check it out because it will make you see spiders in a different light.

The little jumping spiders yesterday were super cute and barely the size of an average finger nail. Unlike today's specimen which was one of the larger spiders I photographed.

This is Tika, a Brachypelma hamorii or Mexican red knee. I forget its actual dimensions but it was definitely large and spectacular. I will readily admit that as the lid was taken off its habitat I  was more than a little nervous. As you can see it was high on the glass side and I was certain it would start to creep out and then I am not sure what I would have done. I was reassured that compared to some of the other species in my daughter-in-laws' collection Tika is quite slow so I would have time to escape if necessary. As it was with a little gentle encouragement Tika climbed down and posed quietly as I snapped away. 

I did get pretty close and I am blown away by the detail and by the vivid colours. 

They still creep me out but I am captivated by the exotic beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment