Wednesday 5 October 2016

Who's got Yellow Legs?


I spotted this beautiful wading bird at Thunder Bay's Boulevard Lake during an evening walk. I thought that it was a sandpiper at first but I wasn't completely sure so when I chose this shot for my blog tonight I realised I needed to do some research. All of my bird books show European birds and so I had to look a bit further afield since this isn't a species we would habitually see here in the UK.

So, what is it? I believe that it is a juvenile Lesser Yellowlegs . This species is fairly common in the boreal forest regions of Canada and North America as you can see if you follow the link above. However it is classified as a rare bird here in the UK as can be seen from this link I was really pleased to get such a lovely shot that I can share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment