Wednesday 1 November 2017

War Wounds





Today I wasn't going to post any more pictures from the Rut although I was going to choose some other mammals after listening to the awesome song "Mammal" by They Might Be Giants (Click here to listen). Anyway as I was browsing I decided to post the first two because they show two different stags with  very clear evidence of the violence of the rut. 

In the first  image the stag is what is known as a Menil variety with a much paler coat than the more common tan/fawn colouring and without the black rump. He has clearly been in a fight and has lost part of his impressive set of antlers.

In the second image you can see two lines of scarring on its right flank also evidence of being in a fight.

The young stags can spend a lot of time sparring without any real vicious intent but when the rutting season begins in earnest the sparring becomes much more serious and potentially deadly. Perhaps these two can count themselves lucky, despite their wounds.

In contrast to that the final shot in today's selection is a much more tranquil, bucolic scene.

So that is all for now, I am not sure what I will post next but please come back tomorrow to see what I choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment