Thursday 25 March 2021

Loxia curvirostra



 The Common Crossbill.  I had gone out hoping to capture something different but although I could hear lots of birdsong I was finding it very difficult to spot anything. After a short while however a small flock of noisy birds settled briefly and I realised they were crossbills. I don't think I have seen them before and I know I have definitely never photographed them so I was thrilled to get this chance. 

They are not the prettiest of birds and this little chap is all fluffed up against the wind. It is easy to see why they get their name and that curiously shaped bill is exceptionally useful even though it looks like it might be a little clumsy. Tomorrow I will share some pictures of it putting that bill to use...

No comments:

Post a Comment