Saturday 17 July 2021

Out of this World

Several months ago I purchased a Star Tracker mount so that I could do some deep space astrophotography. You may recall that last year I captured a fairly nice shot of comet Neowise over Castlerigg in Cumbria and I thought at the time that I would love to do more astrophotography but I was limited to only short exposures without a tracker mount. So I bought the mount and ordered a control cable to make the most of the wifi capability but that only arrived a few weeks ago so again I was limited to what shots I could take and to be honest the mount was left in its box while I waited for the cable and then for clear skies.

On Friday night, with the promise of a clear sky and having watched a few tutorials online I headed up to Bolton Abbey hoping to capture some shots of the priory with the core of the Milky Way rising in the background. I had a very clear image in mind and I was excited as I set off with high hopes. Imagine my frustration when I arrived to find the site closed off and no way to get the image I had visualised. I was ready to pack it in and go home but on the way back took a detour to Gisburn Forest which is a dark sky site and thought I would try for some deep space objects.

So the image above is just one of the shots I took. Bear in mind I am new to this type of photography and just getting to grips with the equipment so I took some time setting up and although I took four different views of the night sky I took multiple exposures of each view so capturing each final image took between 20 and 30 minutes. This first image was a 6 minute exposure and is exactly how it appeared in camera. I thought I had pushed the exposure a bit too far and the stars are starting to stretch, and although there are some nice colours visible I wasn't convinced I would have a useable image to show for my efforts.

However I have used an image stacking program called Sequator and stacked 5 images, all 6 minute exposures of the above view using the tracking mount and thanks to the magic of technology the flaws in the individual image have been corrected to produce this final image... 



 I have to say that I am so very pleased with this image, the first deep space photo I have produced. I can see faults with it and that is something I can try to address in  future pictures, as I say there is always so much to learn.

The other thing I need to do is learn more about the stars and constellations as although I am thrilled to have captured such bright and colourful objects I have no clear idea what they are. I do have some very clever apps that would tell me, in the field (quite literally) but I didn't think to make a note at the time so for now I am just going to have to enjoy the image and next time I go out I will pay more attention to those details.


No comments:

Post a Comment