Sunday, 6 September 2026

More Macro - Hoverflies and Droneflies

As I mentioned in a post a couple of days ago I had been to RSPB Burton Mere however rather than photographing birds I ended up doing a spot of macro photography, which had been my back up plan. A few people gave me odd glances as I crouched down by the side of the path, a few asked what I had seen and shrugged when I explained I was photographing bugs but then one couple surprised me by identifying some of the hoverflies  giving me their scientific and common names and suggesting where I might spot others along the way.
I was really impressed and grateful, I explained that other than knowing they were different species of hoverflies I had no idea what I was looking at. They said that they had assumed I knew because of the interest and care I was taking in photographing them and they stayed a few moments longer to share some of their knowledge. I will probably forget most of what they told me but I will try at least to remember the common names and look more closely in future at the different varieties I see.
Hoverflies and Droneflies are really important pollinators, they have markings that make them look a lot like bees or wasps, some, as you will see below are covered in fine hairs like bees but they are all harmless to humans, they cannot bite or sting and they have no venom. Their colouring is purely to scare off predators. Like flies they have one pair of wings whereas bees and wasps have two pairs. As adults they feed exclusively on nectar and pollen while their larvae tend to be voracious predators eating aphids although some species do eat plants or decaying matter. Whatever their diet hoverflies should be welcomed  9even encouraged) into your gardens.

Sphaerophoria scripta (sometime called Twister Hoverfly)


A bonus image of a Plume Thistle


Sphaerophoria scripta


Helophilus pendulus - Footballer Hoverfly (sometimes Sun Fly)


Eristalis - Dronefly


Episyrphus baleatus - Marmalade Hoverfly


Sphaerophoria scripta - Twister Hoverfly



 

2 comments: