Tuesday 26 September 2017

Down Memory Lane




Yesterday I said that today would be a landmark post and the reason for that is this is my 1,000th post. 

I started my blog just over three years ago and while I haven't been able to post every single day I have done my best and I am really pleased that I have reached this milestone. I am also grateful that so many people have taken time to look at the pictures I share and from time to time the comments that you make. 

I have had a tough time choosing pictures for today; should it be a grand landscape or a colourful flower? perhaps something abstract or a stunning macro image? or how about a street photo, something architectural or one of my favourite wildlife shots? I have so many to choose from. I thought about selecting a few of my favourite pictures from past posts but rather than do a retrospective I decided to select something new but with a nostalgic theme.

These three shots were taken during a recent visit to the National Waterways Boat Museum at Ellesmere Port where there is a row of cottages decorated and furnished to reflect the styles of different periods in history. One of the cottages really caught my attention because I recognised lots of the furnishings from my grandparents home, although they never had these flying ducks which are classic decor from post war living rooms up and down the country. Many years ago I bought some wooden ducks and similar flying hippos which were rather fun but not quite as classic as these.

I love the second picture, more precisely I love the glazed pots with their metallic shimmer contrasted against the pastel shade of the wall.

The third image is the interior of an old telephone box. In an age when just about everybody has a mobile phone there are lots of people who will wonder what this was all about. As a child we were lucky enough to have a telephone at home and I can still remember our number (Fareham 5970) and while our telephone was a bit more modern than the one in the picture my grandparents phone was just the same and I always liked the feel of it in my hands when making a call. I also remember my grandparents had a party line and how odd it would be to pick up the handset to make a call to find that somebody else was in the middle of a call. 

Selecting these pictures has helped bring lots of nice memories, looking back can be fun but it should also serve to remind us about how far we have come and to value everything that we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment