Sunday 19 February 2023

Medieval Murals

 









These are from my 2018 road trip (I will go back to my Dunham Massey and Chirk photos in a day or so) and are from the Chateau du Haut Koenigsbourg in Alsace which was the region I visited after Annecy. I have recently shared some photos of this castle take during a visit last year but on that visit I didn't get to take many internal views.

This magnificent castle sits high on a hilltop with panoramic views across the Rhine valley with vineyards all around and Germany on the horizon. It has seen conflict many times in its history and the castle as it stands today is the result of significant investment and skilful restoration.

One of the features that impressed me was the ornate artwork on the walls where, as in the first image you can see even the vaulted ceiling is decorated. The interior shots of the banqueting hall are quite stunning with the highly decorated ceiling and walls as well as the heraldry and impressive chandeliers. As a place where honoured friends and guests would be entertained it makes sense that no expense has been spared on the decoration however the murals on the covered walkway above the inner courtyard is even more showy and perhaps an even bolder statement of wealth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment