Wednesday 15 February 2023

Nymphs




Flower of fancy



Vanishing Dream



Destiny



Oblivion





 

Every time that I visit Chirk I admire these statues. I know they might not be to everybody's taste but I think they are magnificent. I particularly like the two which are placed next to each other which are called "Destiny" and "Vanishing Dream". 

They are in a naturalistic and symbolist style (apparently) and while the figures are nude for me the power of each sculpture is in the facial expressions and the symbolism. I don't understand the symbolism in each sculpture, for example why one is standing on a serpent, or another has her hands bound behind her back and another has her eyes bound with cloth, but they are elegant and beautifully crafted.

I have shared images of them before I know but today I have gone all out and shared several images and included shots of all four sculptures which I have not done before

They were made by Andrea Carlo Lucchesi who work predominantly in London. He died in 1924 aged 64. The sculptures collectively known as "The Nymphs" were owned by Lord and Lady Howard de Walden who leased Chirk Castle between 1911 and 1946 and were brought to the castle from the couple's London home. Originally they stood in the family's dining room until Lady Howard de Walden insisted they be moved to "a more appropriate location"

No comments:

Post a Comment