Thursday 6 April 2017

I give you... Butterflies!



Yes indeed, here are a couple of beautiful butterflies just for you.

The second is a Tiger-Striped Longwing from Central and South America, I love the colours and striking pattern and I like the fine detail of the white spots on the trailing edge of its secondary wings.  It is really stunning.

I have saved my comments on the first specimen for a reason and anyone who knows me will know why I found this interesting.

The first is a Common Mormon from across Asia. I thought this was a really interesting name for a butterfly and I wondered why it had earned this name. Apparently it is because there is just one variant of the male of the species but there are three female variants and it is an allusion to the early Mormon practice of polygamy (now discontinued of course). 

I am unable to tell you whether this is a male or a female but it is a real beauty with its dusky black wings with silvery stripes and little red highlights. 

Come back tomorrow and I will have some more butterflies to share with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment