Saturday 17 March 2018

Underground



Today I have been underground as I visited the Syngun Copper Mine near Beddgelert in North Wales. It stopped operating as a mine over 200 years ago. The conditions underground must have been dreadful as the workers used hand tools and only had candles to light their way. We use copper for so many things and take it for granted but seeing these conditions made me reflect on how so much of what we have comes at the expoense of other people.

The pictures today show one of the excavated chambers where Stalagmites and Stalactites have formed, and are still "growing" creating these beautiful formations and reflections in the underground pool.

Also while I was walking through the passageways deep inside the mountainside I thought of the song Underground by Harry James Angus which conjures up some interesting imagery of a mysterious and magical underground world it is well worth a listen

No comments:

Post a Comment