Sunday 28 February 2016

Sunset on the Moors




Last week I was able to take a week off work and I decided to head off to the North Yorkshire Moors to camp overnight on the coldest night of the year so far, it got down to -5C (and possibly less as my tent had a film of ice on both sides of the flysheet when I got up) . I was the sole camper on the site which was on a working livestock farm, so apart from the noises from the cows and sheep it was very quiet and peaceful.

As you can see from these photos it was a beautiful evening but very cold, and not long after the last picture was taken I got pelted with hail while I cooked my tea.

These views are looking west from Kildale, not far from Great Ayton which was the birth place of Captain James Cook.  In the village of Gt Ayton there is a memorial to Captain Cook which is actually a replica of a monument erected in his honour in Australia. It stands on the site of the cottage where he lived but which has been dismantled and rebuilt in Victoria, Australia. 


No comments:

Post a Comment