Friday 26 January 2018

Stone Circle


Last week I posted some black and white images of the stone circle at Castlerigg. They were taken in the morning, before the sun had broken through the clouds and they are dramatic and powerful images of a truly amazing place.

After I left I went down to Keswick and then drove in a loop taking in the Honister and Whinlatter Passes stopping to get some great landscape shots before heading back to Castlerigg where I was blessed with another chance to photograph this magical and inspiring spot before heading home. 

The light in the early afternoon was perfect and the snow covered fells look superb, the sunlight on the stones gives them a warm, almost golden glow in stark contrast to the cold grey of the morning.

When I was a child growing up in the south of England I had seen pictures of the lake district but it seemed so far away and it always seemed unlikely that I would ever get the chance to visit. Now I live just a couple of hours away and so I can visit pretty much whenever I want. Even though it is no longer "out of reach" it still remains a place of wonder and I have lots of great memories from days out walking in the forests and fells or camping trips, memories that I will treasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment