Thursday 25 January 2018

Woodland Gems




I have connected these three images from my New Years Day walk at Mere Sands Woods. I had gone to photograph some of the bird life there but as I walked through the woods my eye was drawn to some of the objects on the woodland floor. 

These pieces of fallen timber are all host to a myriad of other life forms, ferns, fungi, lichen and moss as well as all manner of insects and invertebrates. Each fallen log or branch is a miniature eco system in its own right. I love the richness and variety of colours and the way the light and dappled shade creates patterns on the ground. 

When we walk we often miss so much beauty around us, especially the stuff beneath our feet and so it feels good to share these pictures with you as a reminder to look down as well as up when walking in our wonderful woodlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment