Wednesday 4 July 2018

Fjallkvanne

Canon  EF 24 - 105mm F/4 L IS USM
ISO 100  73 mm  F/7.1   1/250 sec

I spotted this unusual looking plant alongside the path on my walk around Vrango. I had never seen this type of plant before and had no idea what it was. I thought it might be a weed so I have spent a little time researching Swedish Native plants and discovered that it is a variety of Angelica or in Swedish Fjallkvanne (Angelica archangelica ssp. archangelica)  

I had only ever seen  candied angelica as a cake decoration and had no idea that it is a herb or that it had any other uses. It is a sweet herb "herb of the angels" and is part of the parsley family. Did you know it was once thought to be a cure against witchcraft, insomnia and plague among other things and it is used to flavour gin and sweet wines. 



No comments:

Post a Comment