Sunday 26 October 2014

Antique motors

I suppose the title of today's blog is slightly misleading because the pictures are not of engines or of complete cars but they are close ups of antique cars at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu .  When I visited the museum with my son I enjoyed looking at the cars on display but what struck me about some of the vehicles was the attention to detail and the little touches that you would never see on any of the mass produced cars today.  For example how many cars have you seen with wicker umbrella holders?

The bespoke gearing, wheels and suspension was a joy to see.  The styling of some of the bodywork was also a work of art and you could see how the design was really pushing the boundaries.  

I have picked a couple of pictures of bonnet ornaments, everyone would be familiar with the Angel and the RR from a Roll Royce or the Bugatti symbol but what about the Swallow... (I can't remember what the other one is so if anyone can help me out I'd be very grateful)

I have also chosen a couple of wheels which might seem an odd choice but again the quality and attention to detail really impress.









1 comment:

  1. Beautiful stuff. I too am a fan of the old cars. As you say, the attention to detail is amazing. Real craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete