Saturday 25 October 2014

Beaulieu Abbey

So yesterday I posted a couple of pictures of falcons that were taken while on a day out in Beaulieu.  The display was in the cloisters of Beaulieu Abbey and we were lucky that the rain which had been forecast held off just long enough for us to enjoy the presentation.

The Abbey was built in 1204 by Cistercian Monks on land given them by King John. The Cistercian Order originated in France so it is no surprise that the architecture has a medieval French quality which is evident in the photos I have chosen today. 

The first picture shows the quadrant and the church , the other pictures show the exterior of the Domus which was the monks' main living quarters. I like the first image with the "monk" because it gives added interest to the shot but my favourite image is the second one, I like the angle of the shot and I really like the varied colours of the flowers and shrubs aginst the stone walls.

Canon EOS 6D 24 - 105mm f4 @ 47mm f6.3 ISO 100  1/400s

Canon EOS 6D 24-105mm f4 @ 32mm f 6.3 ISO 100 1/320s

Canon EOS 6D 24-105mm f4 @ 45mm f5.6 ISO 100 1/500s



2 comments:

  1. Once again, nice photos. I like the third picture, I like the perspective coupled with the various shapes and angles, arches and stairways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I appreciate your comments. I had to wait ages for that third shot as people kept standing in the archway at the end. I tried taking it from different positions, higher and lower, and this one gives the best perspective.

      Delete