Sunday 7 December 2014

A Different Kind of Landscape






Those who have seen my blog before will know that I like landscapes and I love reflections and so yesterday while I was out along Liverpool's dock road I thought that I would give a different take on landscapes, they are certainly a grim contrast to the images of Snowdonia that I have shared in the past week.  

Although many of the docks are empty and disused the pictures above show that there is at least one thriving export business in this part of dockland (to be fair there are other busy docks along the waterfront too but as you get closer to the city centre they are more run down).  Scrap metal is brought into Liverpool by the truck load, crushed and processed and then loaded on ships and sent around the world.  Recycling on a grand scale, producing mountains of metal rising from the dock side.  I particularly like the 2nd and 3rd pictures today because they give a good sense of the size and scale of these great heaps.

Several years ago one of these mountains caught fire and burned for weeks and I can remember watching, from my office in Bootle, the plume of smoke and the flames rising above the River Mersey.

1 comment:

  1. The stark reality of our industrial age. That is quite a scrap heap. Interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete