Sunday 14 December 2014

On Hilbre Island






I'm really quite lucky to live so close to Hilbre Island nature reserve off the Wirral Coast. Hilbre is one of three small islands at the mouth to the Dee Estuary, a site of special scientific interest.  It is home to an observatory and weather station and many different species of seabirds.  The islands have been inhabited in one form or another since the Stone Age and there is evidence of occupation in different parts of the islands.  It is a lovely place to visit and for 5 hours in every 12 the islands are cut off by the high tide.  Every now and then I like to walk across to the islands and stay out there surrounded by the sea, exploring the shore line, watching the birds, looking at the seals which come in close and of course taking photos.

It's some time since I have done that, and today's pictures were taken in July 2013 when I went across to the islands with my youngest son who joined me on a photographic expedition.  

It was a hot and sunny day with a beautiful clear blue sky but although it was bright and clear I chose to take several pictures in black and white some of which I have posted today. I may select some of the colour images for tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the steps to the roof. Nice place for some peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete