Monday 22 December 2014

Chirk Estate





In February I visited Chirk Castle with the intention of getting some photos of the snowdrops in the woodland on the estate.  Unfortunately the night before my visit we had had the most violent storm with high winds which caused a great deal of damage to the trees and grounds.  Driving up the approach road I had to carefully steer around the fallen trees and branches and when I reached the car park I was told by the National Trust staff that the Castle and grounds were closed and I had to leave.  

I was really disappointed but I was able to take a few pictures of the farm buildings and the old post box which served the estate workers before being asked to leave again, as the staff were going to close the gates to the park.  From the first picture of the farm and the focus on the weather vane it can be seen that it was a beautiful day with clear skies, giving no hint of the terrible storm just a few hours before.

It was another 10 days before I was able to return which was when the pictures from the past two days were taken.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I like the stone post box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx, I tried a couple of different shots to get a good angle but I had the estate staff breathing down my neck and had to leave. It was a shame because the light was perfect that day

      Delete