Thursday 18 December 2014

Portchester




Over the next few days I am going to post pictures of a couple of castles.  

Today I have selected a few images from Portchester Castle in Hampshire which is a place I used to visit often as a child.  I spent many Saturdays running in the moat and walking the dog with my grandad before going to his local and having a glass of lemonade and a bag of crisps in the beer garden.

The first picture is of the Norman Keep which is the newest part of the castle, during the Napoleonic Wars the keep was used as a Prison for French Prisoners of War.  There are great views from the top of the keep if you are brave enough to climb the narrow spiral stairs, which I did this summer for the first time in many years and it was really memorable.

The second picture is of the sea gate in the Roman wall and the third image is of the gate into the main living area of the castle below the keep, it is accessed via a bridge across the inner moat.  Visiting the castle has become a bit of a tradition or even pilgrimage for me and I love to share this special place.

Tomorrow I will share a few more images from Portchester and over the weekend I will focus on a different type of castle, there's a lot to look forward to...

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! One of my favourite places anywhere on the planet, so many memories, walking the dog, watching the cricket inside the grounds, The White Hart or The Cormorant after the walk; great times.

    ReplyDelete